DESIGNATION – ANTHONY PEAK LOOKOUT TOWER
PID – KT1957
COUNTRY – US
USGS QUAD – MENDOCINO PASS (1973)
Mendocino National Forest
Elevation = 6891
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1942 (JCS)
THIS IS AN UNOCCUPIED INTERSECTION STATION. DUE TO ITS
INACCESSIBILITY IT WAS NOT VISITED.
STATION IS LOCATED ABOUT 16 MILES, AIR LINE, ENE OF COVELO, IN
THE MENDOCINO NATIONAL FOREST. IT IS NEAR THE MENDOCINO-TEHAMA
COUNTY LINE, ABOUT 4 MILES NNW OF MENDOCINO PASS AND THE CORNER
OF MENDOCINO-TEHAMA-GLENN COUNTIES.
STATION IS A WHITE LOOKOUT HOUSE, APPARENTLY ABOUT 20 FEET HIGH,
OVERLOOKING ALL THE SURROUNDING COUNTRY. A FINIAL WAS APPARENTLY
OFF CENTER. THE CENTER OF THE HOUSE WAS OBSERVED AS THE STATION
Anthony Peak is a mountain located in the Northern Coast Ranges of California north of Mendocino Pass. The summit is the highest point in Mendocino County, and receives snowfall in the winter. The rare endemic wildflower known as Anthony Peak lupine (Lupinus antoninus) was named for this peak. The peak was probably named for James Anthony, who owned a farm in the Round Valley district in 1874.
Built in 1932, Anthony Peak Lookout is a L-4 pyramid roof design. The wooden 14’x14 live-in cab with catwalk sits atop a 10’ wood tower that was enclosed in 1941 for year-long staffing as an enemy aircraft warning station during World War II. The lookout, which remains active, was restored in 1993 through the cooperative efforts of the U.S. Forest Service and the Twin Rocks Landowners Association.
1934: The Lookout was constructed by the CCC.
August 28, 1935: “This year there is a new forest lookout on Anthony Peak. The house has glass windows, which catch the last rays of the sun and reflect them like a glowing beacon. One sees this best from the grammar school.” (Ukiah Republican Press)
June 23, 1939: “Last winter’s snow still covers the top of Mt. Anthony, in places so that cars can only go to within a half mile of the top. Ralph McCombs, in charge of the National Forest look-out, has had to pack in all supplies and this June contribution to the snowbanks has added materially to the number of days before the road will be open to the top.” (Ukiah Dispatch Democrat)
July 19, 1940: “Ralph McCombs, who has charge of the lookout station on Anthony peak, was in for supplies Tuesday.” (Dispatch Democrat)
May 29, 1946: “A lookout is established on Anthony Peak, Bob Pinkerton, of Covelo, is in charge.” (Ukiah Republican Press)
June 21, 1956: “Anthony Peak lookout has been manned for fire detection for the lower country. Equipment was packed in the last mile on backs, due to a 29 foot snowdrift blocking the way of the truck. There is still quite a bit of snow and snow drifts but the south slopes are open. Dale Lempinen is lookout.” (Ukiah News)
1990: The Lookout was found to be unsafe and was condemned.
1993: The Forest Service along with volunteers rehabilitated the Lookout building to its original configuration.
July 12, 1994: “The Covelo Ranger District will officially reopen the historic Anthony Peak fire lookout with a dedication ceremony at 11 a.m. Wednesday. The public is invited; the ceremony will be followed by a potluck lunch at the site.
The lookout was built by the California Conservation Corps in 1934. It was used continuously until 1990, when it was condemned because deterioration made it unsafe.” (Ukiah Daily Journal)
September 4, 2012: In a summary of the events of the North Pass Fire that consumed about 42,000 acres, much of which was on the Covelo Ranger District. Precautions were taken to protect the Anthony Peak Lookout by wrapping the building in foil.
2017 – Any additional data/information pictures sent to me will be added to this website.